Ireland Student Visa Guidance
Understand the Ireland Student Visa Guidance and solve your queries.
When can I apply for an Irish student visa?
You can apply for a student visa for Ireland within 3 months to the course start date and can travel within 30 days to the course start date. All applications for a student visa for Ireland must be made using theAVATS on-line facility including from India.
Keep the following documents handy while taking applying online:
- Passport and details of any previous passports – number, date of issue/expiry
- Details of any previous Irish visa applications
- Contact details for your host in Ireland ie. from your University
- Itinerary (if applicable) (it is not necessary to book the travel tickets before applying for a student visa for Ireland)
Once you have filled this form, you will see a summary form (also known as summary sheet’). Take a print of it and follow the instructions on the summary form. You must sign this summary form dated along with the other documentation that you will be submitting to the VFS Ireland, in turn to the Irish Embassy in India.
Book your appointment at VFS Ireland within 30 days from the date of filling the online application. You will need the application transaction number (available on the summary form that they generate after your online application) that you need to enter while taking the online appointment. Pay the visa application fee online.
Where to apply?
If there is an Irish Embassy, Consulate, Honorary Consul or Visa Office in your country of permanent residence you must apply there. Consulate of Ireland in Hyderabad is at Kamanwala Chambers, 2 Nd Floor Sir P M Road, Hyderabad G.p.o(fort) Hyderabad, Maharashtra 400001, India. Visa facilitation service (VFS) centres for applying for an Irish visa in India are available in: Hyderabad (North), Hyderabad (South), Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Jalandhar, Kolkata, New Delhi, Pune. You may require to go for a personal interview.
Documents required for applying for an Irish student visa:
- Two colour passport sized photographs not more than 6 months old (photograph requirements are here)
- Original Passport (should be valid for at least 12 months after your proposed date of arrival in Ireland)
- The Visa Application forms and the summary form (that you will have printed after filling the online application at AVATS on-line facility
- Letter of acceptance from the education institution
- All academic documents
- IELTS score report
- Police clearance Certificate
- Evidence of financial resources confirming that you have enough funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during your stay in Ireland (estimated living expense in Ireland for one academic year is Euro 7000)
- Evidence of fee payment made to the University (eg. Payment receipt from the University or a valid receipt that the course fee has been lodged with an approved fees payment service)
- Private Medical Insurance cover – your University may arrange this one your behalf and your letter of acceptance (admission letter) from the University must include this detail. If you have arranged it privately, then you must provide an evidence of it. How much medical cover is required is available
- Birth Certificate
- Information or confirmation of any previous Irish visa refusals
All documents MUST be in ORIGINAL only. Keep a set of photocopy for your reference. Original documents such Birth Certificate, etc. will be returned. However, documents like bank statements or balance certificate may not be returned
Note: There may be other documents that may be required based on your circumstances.
Visa Application Fee:
Cashier’s Order needs to pay the visa fees in favor of “Consulate General of Ireland, Hyderabad”. of Rs. 5000/- approx (The applicable visa fee in Indian Rupees is as per the current exchange rate and is subject to change without notice).
Visa Processing time:
You should allow as much time as possible when applying for a visa but a minimum time of 4 – 8 weeks for processing. Generally, you should have a decision in 4 to 6 weeks.
English Ability Requirements:
All applicant must show IELTS / or equivalent Score sheet for Visa.
APPROVAL IN PRINCIPLE: If your course is a HETAC approved course (check with your college in Ireland), you do not have to pay fees in advance. If the authority approves your study visa then you need to pay the fees and evidence of the Electronic transfer. Also, you need to submit an original college receipt before the authority issues a visa. You should factor at least two extra weeks into the processing time if you wish to avail of this service. Otherwise fees will need to be paid in advance.