Quick Notes on Studying Student Partnership (SPP) Program Colleges in Canada:
Popularly known as SPP, Student Partners Program is an administrative framework between the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC). Launched in April 2009, the main objective behind this program was to streamline admission and visa process for Canadian Community Colleges which would increase the number of visas issued to Indian students for studying at Canadian Community Colleges. A large number of Indian students apply to various specialized trade requirement based diploma and Post graduate diploma program at Community Colleges in Canada.
SPP was initially only open for the Indian nationals, but gauging how successful it turned out to be, the project was extended to China as well. Under this program, nearly 40 Canadian colleges are listed and there are several other ACCC colleges which welcome Indian students.
Students planning to pursue studies in Canada can apply to any of the participating SPP colleges. Applications under this program receive prompt processing and a fair decision based on the documents furnished by the students. In case an applicant meets the eligibility criteria of the college applied to, then he/she will be considered under the SPP program.
Eligibility Criteria to apply under SPP Programs in Canada Scheme
Those applying for a program under SPP must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- An overall IELTS score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5. IELTS score validity is 2 years, hence the score cannot be older than that
- A study gap of no more than five years is allowed, with certain exceptions made for students with a three year gap who have excellent grades with work experience eg. if you finished your last qualification (say 12th std.) in 2010, you will most likely not be accepted by a College in Canada if you apply for a program in 2015. Most SPP Colleges prefer lesser than 2 years study gap
- Not more than 8 backlogs (re-sits) in recent studies are accepted under SPP
- The course applied must be relevant to the student’s previous study background and must add value to the previous education
- Students must have a minimum of 50% score in their recently completed degree or diploma or Higher as per the SPP institution specific requirement
- Furnish proof of payment of the tuition fee for one semester or one year (as asked by the SPP College in Canada)
- Purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from Scotia Bank of CAD$10000 to cover living expenses for the first year of stay in Canada. This has to be done while you are in India (ie. not after you apply for a Canadian student visa)
- Students with previous study visa rejection are not allowed to reapply under SPP visa category
Advantages of applying under SPP Programs in Canada
- Fasters Canadian student visa processing
- Streamlined admission and visa guidelines for all SPP participating institutions
- Advance medicals reports
- Quality of the institutions is assured
- Less documents required forvisa
- Income Tax Proof not required
Working under SPP Programs in Canada
Work permit is open to all international students who have
graduated with a recognized qualification from any of the
accredited institutions in Canada be it the SPP colleges or non
The current work permit rules for international students in Canada allows students to obtain a Post Study work permit in Canada of up to 3 years if the course period is two years or higher. However, for students whose course duration is one year or less than 1 year are eligible for a work permit equal to their duration of study. Kindly note that work permit is available to all international students whether a student studies at SPP College or at a non SPP College
SPP Colleges in Canada
- Algonquin College, Ontario
- Bow Valley College, Alberta
- Cambrian College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- Camosun College, British Columbia
- Centennial College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- College of New Caledonia, British Columbia
- College of the Rockies, British Columbia
- Columbia College, British Columbia
- Conestoga College, Ontario
- Confederation College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- Douglas College, British Columbia
- Durham College, Ontario
- Fanshawe College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- George Brown College, Ontario
- Georgian College of Arts & Technology, Ontario
- Grant MacEwan University, Alberta
- Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning, Ontario
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, British Columbia
- Lambton College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- Loyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- Marine Institute of Memorial University, Newfoundland
- Medicine Hat College, Alberta
- Mohawk College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- Niagara College, Ontario
- North Island College, British Columbia
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, Alberta
- Northern College, Ontario
- Northern Lights, British Columbia
- Okanagan College, British Columbia
- Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology, Manitoba
- Selkirk College, British Columbia
- Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- Sheridan College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning, Ontario
- St-Clair College of Applied Arts & Technology, Ontario
- St. Lawrence College, Ontario
- University of The Fraser Valley, British Columbia
- Vancouver Island University, British Columbia
- Vancouver Community College, British Columbia
Here are some questions and answers to provide more clarity about SPP Programs in Canada:
What is the processing time of SPP student visa application?
An SPP student visa application takes around 5 to 10 working days.
What is the visa application deadline?
SPP applications should be submitted by 1st of August in order to seek admission for September intake. Indian students can sent their application directly to VFS (visa Facilitation Services) in New Delhi or Chandigarh.
Can a visa once refused be granted if apply under SPP?
No. To apply under SPP the student should have never been refused a study permit to Canada. If a visa is once refused then the student has to apply under the general category.
Is IELTS compulsory if I am applying under SPP?
Yes. Minimum score of IELTS 6.0 band is compulsory to apply for visa under SPP
Can I apply without an education loan?
No. Education loan for 80% of the first year of expenses is compulsory to consider an application under SPP. If you have funds and do not wish to take up the education loan, you can apply for visa under general category but not under SPP.
Do SPP Colleges offer an MBA programme?
Most SPP Colleges only offer diploma, Bachelors, Graduate diploma and PG Diploma.
What about studying at other Canadian Colleges which are not under SPP?
Canada has an excellent education system looked after independently by each province. The topmost Universities Canada too are not under SPP as they do not come under the definition of Student Partnership Program. They have their own values for education; student’s applying to such institutions will be assessed under general category.
Do I definitely get a visa if I apply under SPP?
No. The decision is made by Canadian embassy. If you meet all the criteria of being able to apply under the SPP visa category, the chances of your visa do increase but you can be rejected too.
Can I apply for PNP without having studied under SPP?
SPP is not linked to PNP. PNP or Provincial Nomination Program has its own requirement. It is open for all the students who have studied under any category and keen to apply for (permanent residency) PR in Canada.
Can I get work permit in Canada if I do not study under SPP?
Work permit scheme is open to all the international students who have graduated with proper qualification from any of the accredited institutions. Work permit has its own requirement and each student should qualify those requirements.
According to the present status of work permit in Canada, a student whose duration of course is for two years or more will get a work permit for 3 years in Canada. If the duration of study is for less than 2 years then the duration of work permit will be equal to the duration of study. Eg. if you course in Canada is of 14 months, then you will get a post study work permit in Canada for 14 months
Kindly note, for the first six months, students will be entitled to work only inside the college campus.
Can I settle in Canada after completion of my studies?
Yes, you can. You are more likely to meet the points requirement for Canada Immigration if you have study in Canada for two years
How can Admitworld help?
We explain the complete process of studying in Canada. We assess your profile and understand your suitability to study in Canada. We suggest areas of profile development so that you could best present yourself and your application to the admissions committee
Timeline and Action Plan:
We create a timeline for you and develop an action plan so that you could finish the application related work timely. This is very important because there are so many things to consider: your academic studies, your work, collecting documents for applications, test preparation, admission and visa process time, etc.
Based on your interest area, future plans, career objectives, budget and several other factors, we help you select the right undergraduate programs in Canada you must apply to. This is very important because you spend application fees per university, send out couriers and invest more during the process and not applying to the right set of Universities and colleges would mean a loss of money and time. We categorically suggest Ambitious, Moderate and Safe University options from which you can select from so as to create the right set 4 to 6 Universities and colleges in Canada.
We guide you with your documents required for applying to Canadian Universities and Colleges. This includes helping you build and edit the right CV, editing suggestions to strengthen your essays and SOP, providing guidance on your recommendation letters, and more. We are one of the leading admission consulting in the country and essay editing is our forte.
Applying to 8 to 10 Canadian Universities mean you may end up writing between 16 to 24 essays. We help you edit and refine each and every word of the written essays and we suggest how to improve the content. With limitless iterations, we make your craft the finest essays and bring out the real YOU in your profile. Ask any of our students and they have loved how we have guided them with the essay writing and editing.
We will help you with the documentation, provide sample formats, check your visa application, help you file for Canada visa, help you with opening of the GIC account, etc.